The Scotteriology Super-Amazing SBL Contest!
The Society of Biblical Literature’s (SBL) 2009 Annual Meeting is taking place on November 21-24 in New Orleans, Louisiana. For the next several months Scotteriology will be running a contest in which the prizes will be awarded at the 2009 SBL conference:
- Third Prize: FREE meal at The 2009 New Orleans Biblioblogger Dinner
- Second Prize: $50 in books (at the conference)
- First prize: Conference Registration Fees! ($135 to $175 US Dollars)
I am imagining (hoping) that many of you are eagerly wondering: how do I enter this contest? Well it’s very simple: you submit posts to Scotteriology.
All posts must be original material (it can’t be a recycle from last year) and the main body of the post must be at this site (you can post a link at your own site, but the main text must remain here). You do not have to have a website or blog to enter the contest. If you have a few ideas kicking around your brain and you have been thinking about the world of blogging, perhaps, this can be your entrance into it.
There is no limit on the number of posts that one person can submit. In fact, multiple posts are strongly encouraged.
There will be several criteria in evaluating the work submitted: humor, theology, academic sufficiency, traffic, etc. This will be clarified in the upcoming weeks. There are no restrictions to material. If there is a post or subject matter that you do not feel comfortable posting on your own blog you may post it here (within some limits of course).
If you like you may do a series: For example, Michael Halcomb’s series on Mark would probably be a strong contestant for first prize (if he hadn’t already done it), or maybe you decide on a single strong post in which you create a new religious practice which could be a serious contender in its own right. Perhaps, just an insightful theological reflection on what it means to be the church during tough economic times. Your imagination is your only limit.
All submissions must be made to:
Subject line: SBL Contest
At the end of the contest any material submitted automatically reverts to the author and remains his or her intellectual property.
Unfortunately, there has to be some rules:
- FREE registration means you must be registered by September 30. If registered after this date the maximum amount of money you will receive will be $175 US dollars.
- Third prize must be limited to those attending the 2009 Biblioblogger Dinner as determined by Dr. Jim West–hard to buy someone dinner if they’re not there
- Entrance deadline is August 15th 2009 at 11:59 pm
- Any winner may win only one prize
- Any submissions in support of Todd Bentley, John Crowder, Creflo Dollar, Paula White, Kenneth Copeland (or any other personality similar) will be automatically disqualified
- Anyone who supports Todd Bentley will be automatically disqualified
- Todd Bentley is… automatically disqualified!
- The administrator of this site–and president of the Scotteriology universe–reserves the right to give Hebrew or Greek nicknames to any persons submitting a post
- Scotteriology reserves the right to modify rules, judging, and contestants as it deems fit as long as fair notice is given to contestants
Let the contest begin! Good luck.